Welcome to your content audit toolkit. You’re about to find out what’s *really* going on with your website…
A content audit will give you a comprehensive picture of all the content on your site and whether it’s useful, usable, and up to date.
It’s a chance to shine a light on the forgotten corners, declutter, reorganise, and improve. It’ll also highlight gaps and opportunities for new content.
This toolkit will guide you through planning and carrying out an audit. It’s something I’ve built up over years of doing audits myself.
How to use this toolkit
- Make a copy of the four document templates (linked on this page).
- Work your way through the 12 modules in order. The modules will walk you through the process of an audit from start to finish.
- Fill in the planner as you go. The planner is where you capture the details of how you’re going to approach your audit. The modules will prompt you when there’s a section to fill in.
- Use your inventory, audit, and report as directed by the modules.
- Leave feedback as you go – I read it all, and make updates and improvements based on it.
When you click the buttons, you will be invited to log in to your Google account and make a new copy of the template.
Alternatively, you can download the files. This toolkit has been created in and for Google Docs. You may need to update or edit formulas for them to work in Microsoft Office or other document formats: